Protect Your IP Rights: Download as PDF
UT researchers: Could you be giving away your life's work?
In the course of your research, you may have discovered a potentially valuable invention. Presenting, publishing, or speaking about your invention without the proper protection can endanger your intellectual property rights. UT Austin's Office of Technology Commercialization (OTC) can help you.
1. Know when to file an invention disclosure
- When you've made a potentially patentable invention
- Before you present or publish your disclover (includes poster sessions and abstracts)
- Before you talk about the invention to industry (or anyone outside UT) without a nondisclosure agreement
2. File an invention disclosure with OTC
3. Get help with IP protection and marketing from OTC
- Patenting the invention
- A business team to help license your invention or form a startup
- Contacts with VCs, angels, experienced entrepreneurs, large companies, foundations, and others
- End-to-end management of the licensing and royalty collection process
If you have any questions, please contact us and we'll help you through the process.
Copyright ©2006-2013, Office of Technology Commercialization. All rights reserved.